Table of Contents
What is MTN ESim?
MTN Ghana eSIM is a digital SIM card that allows MTN customers in Ghana to activate a mobile phone plan on their device without the need for a physical SIM card.
Customers can purchase and activate an eSIM plan through the MTN Ghana website or through the MTN Ghana app.
Once activated, the eSIM can be used to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, and access data services on the MTN Ghana network.
ESIM technology allows customers to switch between multiple phone numbers or plans on a single device without the need to swap physical SIM cards.
It also allows customers to use a second phone number on their device without taking up an additional SIM slot.
However, not all devices have the ESim Compatibility – Hence before you request for the MTN Ghana ESim, you’d want to check if your phone has the ESim functionality.
Check Out: Updated List of eSIM supported Devices.
How to check if Your Device is ESim Compatible?
To check if a device is compatible with MTN Ghana eSIM, you can follow these steps:
- Dial *#06# on your device – You should see EID (As shown in the image below) if you didn’t see it then your device doesn’t support E-Sim, however, you can opt for step two to further check your device compatibility.
- Check with MTN Ghana: Contact MTN Ghana and ask if they offer eSIM plans and if your device is compatible with their eSIM service. You can reach MTN Ghana by calling 100 from a MTN line or +233 2443 000 00 from any other phone. You can also visit the MTN Ghana website or use the MTN Ghana app to get more information about eSIM compatibility.
How to Activate MTN ESim in Ghana?
To activate an MTN eSIM in Ghana, you should follow these steps:
- I’d say this again, Make sure your device is compatible with eSIM: Because your physical SIM will be deactivated upon requesting for the ESim
- Now, Download the MTN Ghana app: You can download the MTN Ghana app from the App Store or Google Play Store. (If you’ve already downloaded the app, CLICK HERE to skip to the part I was actually requesting for the ESim Personally)
- Register with the MTN Ghana app: Open the MTN Ghana app and follow the prompts to register for an account. You will need to provide your personal details, including your name, email address, and phone number.
- Purchase an eSIM plan: From the MTN Ghana app, under more select the “eSIM” option and follow the prompts to purchase an eSIM plan. You will need to choose a plan that meets your needs and make the payment using a debit or credit card.
- Activate the eSIM: After purchasing the eSIM plan, you will receive a QR code or a unique activation code. Follow the instructions in the MTN Ghana app to activate the eSIM on your device. You may need to restart your device after activating the eSIM.
- Configure your device: After activating the eSIM, you will need to configure your device to use it. This may include setting up your email, internet, and messaging settings. Refer to the device’s manual or the MTN Ghana app for more information.
Requesting for the MTN ESim
When you are on the ESim Request Page (https://esimrequest.mtn.com.gh/Request/77ce34e8-3138-4eb0-8205-18b9850cf0b3)
Input your phone number and request for OTP (One-Time Password) and insert the code in the next page.
You’d be brought to a page similar to the one below:
Fill out the forms.
- Customer Name (Certainly the name on your Ghana Card)
- Alternative Phone Number (In my case I used my Vodafone number)
- Email Address
- Sim Plan (I’d go with Prepaid, I think that’s what most of us uses even on our physical SIM)
- Device Brand (Type the Name of your Device)
- Upload a Portrait Photo
- Upload the front side of your Ghana Card.
When done click on Submit and a screen like the one above will pop up and a text message will be sent to you affirming your ESim Request.
Typically, the process will take 24 to 48 hours to get a QR Code from MTN via the email you provided.
When you eventually received the QR code, go to your phone’s settings, and look for your SIM Manager.
Under the SIM Manager, tap on Add eSIM then you scan the Code sent to you via email.
Once the eSIM is activated and configured, you should be able to use it to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, and access data services on the MTN Ghana network.